[Talk-us] Updating unchanged TIGER imports to TIGER 2013

Mike N niceman at att.net
Sat Mar 16 21:50:26 UTC 2013

On 3/16/2013 5:06 PM, Russ Nelson wrote:
> I'm surprised by how bad the NHD data is. I downloaded some of it in
> .OSM format, and my casual hand digitization off Bing maps is much
> better. If I say so myself, which I do.

  That's not surprising if they last updated the NHD data between 1990
and 2005 on the average (although they are continuously updating parts
of it).   NHD was much better than I could get from the Yahoo imagery.
Many places where I've been, I cannot get an accurate water feature
location from Bing alone, but a survey + Bing imagery is required to get
better than NHD.

    Results will vary based on land contours, tree cover, and the NHD
survey methods.