[Talk-us] How to tag toll roads

Evan Robohm e.robohm at gmail.com
Mon Mar 18 03:09:52 UTC 2013

Hi all,

It seems like, at least in the US, that there isn't a clear way of mapping toll roads, the Wiki page (http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:toll) saying only "inescapable" sections of the highway that are subject a toll should be tagged "toll=yes" (ex: http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=37.9456&lon=-81.2607&zoom=13&layers=Q). Most of them are tagged as the whole road being tolled, regardless of whether all ramps are or aren't tolled or if only selected ramps are tolled (ex: http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=39.00069&lon=-77.47863&zoom=15&layers=Q).

A good example of a dispute between these two methods is the Dulles Greenway and Dulles Toll Road (VA-267) in the Washington, DC Metro Area.  The Greenway is a privately owned toll road with all EB off ramps and WB on ramps tolled (except for Exit 2) along with a main plaza at the eastern end of the road.  It continues into the Dulles Toll Road (publicly owned) with all WB off ramps and EB on ramps tolled, and a main plaza just before it reaches the beltway (I-495). (http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=38.934&lon=-77.315&zoom=11&layers=Q) Both are advertised as toll roads on highway signs.

My question is how literally should we as mappers tag them--like the Wiki page says or as they're advertised on road signs?  This also applies to how ramps are tagged--does "toll=yes" only apply to ramps with toll booths or to ramps that lead into/out of a tollway?

Thanks,

Evan
"Evanator"
http://osm.org/user/Evanator