[Talk-us] RAGBRAI Mapping

Toby Murray toby.murray at gmail.com
Mon Mar 18 22:14:15 UTC 2013

On Mon, Mar 18, 2013 at 5:00 PM, Jeffrey Ollie <jeff at ocjtech.us> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 18, 2013 at 1:21 AM, Toby Murray <toby.murray at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hmm... I might look at doing something similar for Biking Across
>> Kansas. Not sure if these event routes really belong in OSM as a route
>> relation though. They do not indicate a route that should be generally
>> preferred for bicycles. It is just specific to a single event and only
>> to event participants. So this seems like a case of tagging for the
>> renderer.
>
> Keeping it outside of OSM would be problematic, basically for
> maintenance purposes.  I had to split numerous ways while I was
> creating the relations.

You could use different tagging on the relation. My point was that the
route isn't actually a regional cycle network but that's how you have
it tagged so it shows up on cyclemap. I don't know if any routers
actually pay attention to cycle network but in theory this tagging
would influence bicycle routing across the area to favor the roads in
the RAGBRAI routes when this isn't really the right thing to do.

Toby