[Talk-us] key source:maxspeed

Richard Welty rwelty at averillpark.net
Thu Mar 21 17:38:03 UTC 2013

On 3/21/13 1:30 PM, Toby Murray wrote:

> Here in the U.S. such implicit speed limits are fairly rare except
> within cities where most residential roads are assumed to be 30 mph.
> All highways here are explicitly signed with the applicable speed
> limit so the established use of the source:maxspeed tag doesn't really
> make sense to most Americans.

again, not safe to generalize.

per NYS law, all roads not otherwise posted are 55mph. virtually all
local governments then set speed limits one way or another, either
by posting at the admin boundary, by "area speed limit" signs, or just
by putting speed limit signs on all the roads.

not 1/2 mile from my house, there's a county road with a sign saying
"End 35 MPH", which in NYS law means start a 55 mph limit. these
are not uncommon in this state, although there is a trend away from
the usage.

richard