[Talk-us] Bike route network levels: East Coast Greenway

Greg Troxel gdt at ir.bbn.com
Wed May 8 11:47:52 UTC 2013

James Umbanhowar <jumbanho at gmail.com> writes:

> The question is what network level should it, if at all, be tagged.
> Currently, there are three network levels, local/regional/national
> that have been used.  In other countries, these apply to different
> levels of government that officially sanction the cycle route. In the
> US there are several bicycle routes that are sanctioned by AASHTO.  In
> contrast, an analagous tag for hiking networks applies these levels
> simply according to the spatial extent of the hiking trail and
> optionally adds a operator tag for the organization that plans and
> maintains the trail.

As long as network level denotes a degree of spatial extent rather than
a specific naming scheme, I'd say East Coast Greenway should be
national.   (In contrast, "Interstate" is both a notion of scale and a
specific numbering authority.)

My take on network levels for bike/hiking/etc. kinds of routes is that
they are clues as to the geographic extent and thus the area from which
people might care.  So in the US

  interest to those not thinking about the state

  regional: covering most of a state (Midstate Trail (MA), Long Trail
  (VT)), and notable to those thinking about a multi-state region, but
  not really notable on the national scale

  national: covering enough area to be notable at national scale
     Appalachian Trail
     Pacific Coast Trail
     EC Greenway