[Talk-us] Expand the network=* tag in bicycle relations to more cleanly handle non-UK situations?

stevea steveaOSM at softworkers.com
Fri May 10 05:23:35 UTC 2013

Paul:

This is exactly what I meant by "detangling" (what we have) with
"reasons and ideas" being forthcoming.  See, already, they are
emerging, and perhaps eventually, even soon, answers will emerge.
This is not a bad initial proposal, as it uses the "colon syntax" of
highway networks, but it would obviously need additional work by
those more familiar with the rich existing and potential kinds of
bike/hike networks we have here, THEN some rendering support to
implement something potentially harmonious with the existing
lcn/rcn/ncn/icn scheme for cycleways (and lwn/rwn/nwn/iwn for hiking
routes).  That was/is a "good start" as it worked in the UK where OSM
started, but I agree we are "back-forming" it to work (well) in the
USA.  We can do better.

There are a whole set of other topics, like how "state=proposed" is
used (it is, thankfully, supported as dashed lines in Cycle Map --
thanks, Andy -- but it is no longer supported in the lonvia.de
renderers -- I have emailed Ms. Hoffman about this).  But we can hold
off on those discussions, as I think the hierarchy of routes and
differing (non-government) operators taking hold of the name spaces
comes first.

So, it looks like your science is sticking to the wall a bit, at
least from here.  Further refinements of this proposal, ways to
harmonize it with existing schemes, renderer-writing folk:  anybody
else want to chime in?

SteveA
California