[Talk-us] misuse of the landuse=forest tag for national forests

Torsten Karzig Torsten.Karzig at web.de
Sat May 11 19:52:56 UTC 2013

I am relatively new to the talk-us list and have a question concerning
the landuse tags of national forests. Right now (at least in southern
california) all national forests are landuse=forest which leads to large
green areas on the map which look like they originate from a very old
video game with giant pixels. The boundaries of the national forest
often have nothing to do with the actual landuse=forest/natural=wood
boundaries. I would therefore vote for deleting the landuse tag [and map
it separately] leaving the national forests only as protected_areas.

Before doing this change I would like to have your input/opinion on the
topic.

I know that this should actually not be a concern but does anybody know
whether protected areas of level 6 (like national forests) are rendered?
(if not this might be a reason for the initial landuse=forest tag,
although this is clearly mapping for the renderer)

One more thing: When I look at the definition of the OSM map features it
seems that natural=wood seems to be a better tag. But this depends a bit
on the interpretation whether landuse=forest is used for land that is
primarily managed for timber production or for woodland that is in some
way maintained by humans.

Torsten