[Talk-us] misuse of the landuse=forest tag for national forests

Greg Troxel gdt at ir.bbn.com
Sat May 11 22:58:01 UTC 2013

Torsten Karzig <Torsten.Karzig at web.de> writes:

> a forest.  [The parts of the Angeles National forest that I have seen
> so far are dominated by scrub] For me using the landuse=forest tag in
> this case seems to contradict the fact that landuse=forest is supposed
> to describe woodland.

Not quite; landuse=forest is supposed to describe an area managed for
forestry.  If an entity owns a big tract, and the only real purpose is
forestry where it works and the rest sits, it's not wrong to call the
whole thing landuse=forest.

The real bug is that there are three things going on

  boundaries

  landuse (purpose)

  landcover (natural=wood is an example, but there should be a tag for
  "trees are growing" separate from it being "natural")