[Talk-us] OSM Data Quality

Charlotte Wolter techlady at techlady.com
Fri May 31 23:09:43 UTC 2013

Richard,

         We need:
         1. More people. A big part of the map is untouched. We could
reach out more to the educational community to get middle-school and
high-school students involved.
         2. Better training for people who are new to OSM. I think
learnosm.org is very good. I'm a little apprehensive that iD is too
geeky for people who are not coders.
         3. Clear priorities. If I've just joined OSM, and I'm rarin'
to go, what should I do first? I don't mean that we should constrain
people's creativity, but a little guidance would be helpful. Should
they align streets, check street names, add all street lights? Find
all turn restrictions in their area? What kinds of things would
improve the quality of the data? I have no agenda here. I'm waiting
to be guided, too.

Charlotte

At 01:28 PM 5/31/2013, you wrote:
>On 5/31/13 3:15 PM, Frederic Julien wrote:
>>Dear all,
>>
>>I'm working on a presentation and interested to hear your thoughts.
>>What are the top 2-3 changes that could improve OSM data quality?
>>That could be processes, tools, methods, training, peer review,
>>attributes, etc.
>at one level, i agree with Clifford Snow's comment that first you need
>to define data quality.
>
>at another level, i think that we can talk about the following:
>
>1) consistency in tagging. editor improvements, better documentation, better
>     training materials can all help with this
>
>2) improved processes and controls for data import (this is work
>that is happening
>     on the US import committee). there are a lot of imports of the
> past that suffer
>     from Quality Control issues, and lots of imports that never
> should have been
>     done because of problems with the data quality.
>
>3) in the US (and you did ask on talk-us), identifying and dealing
>with the shaky
>     Tiger data from the 2007 tiger import. some of this has been
> done, but it's an
>     ongoing effort and is one of those things that is easier to say
> than it is to do
>
>richard

Charlotte Wolter
927 18th Street Suite A
Santa Monica, California
90403
+1-310-597-4040
techlady at techlady.com
Skype: thetechlady

The Four Internet Freedoms
Freedom to know all the terms of a service, particularly any that
would affect the first three freedoms.