[Talk-us] Admin borders in the US

Martijn van Exel m at rtijn.org
Mon Nov 4 00:01:21 UTC 2013

Agreed that we should not, under no circumstances, just go ahead and
remove data from OSM that has been there for a long time, that people
rely on. And that is not what I am proposing. Really, I am not
proposing anything, I am just stating my opinion that authoritative
data such as boundaries, for which a freely available resource exists,
and which are not easily verifiable through surveying methods at our
disposal, have no place in OSM. If it were up to me, we'd set up a
data service (be it WFS, geojson or whatever floats our boat), make
sure that service always has the latest data, (I'm sure we could work
with Census to make this happen) and call that service as needed for
tile generation, API calls, etc. It's a variation on your multi layer
approach, I guess.

--
Martijn van Exel
http://oegeo.wordpress.com/