[Talk-us] Ferries

stevea steveaOSM at softworkers.com
Thu Nov 7 22:37:55 UTC 2013

OK, Clifford, I take your point very well.  It may not be one-off,
but when routing algorithms chase data in this way, we CAN say it
comes close to "tagging for the algorithm" and is therefore to be
discouraged.  But this might be considered a sharpening up of the
data in a perfectly valid way which also supports routing algorithms.

How about a sane tagging scheme that will capture highway=ferry_link
similar to highway=motorway_link?  That's off-the-cuff, but might be
enough.  I think there was talk of this (or something similar)
earlier, I'd have to go back in the threads and look.

Concomitantly, routing algorithms can and should pay attention to
said tagging scheme.

SteveA
California