[Talk-us] battlegrid down

Paul Johnson baloo at ursamundi.org
Mon Nov 11 17:49:11 UTC 2013

On Mon, Nov 11, 2013 at 11:41 AM, Martijn van Exel <m at rtijn.org> wrote:

> That is a magnificent challenge, but not really a Battle Grid /
> MapRoulette one, I think. Maproulette challenges are
>
> * Simple to fix without local knowledge
> * Only involve one or two nodes or ways
> * Machine-detectable. (provide an SQL query for an osmois snapshot
> schema database if possible)

Only part that doesn't seem to fit this would be that relations aren't ways.

> (from http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/MapRoulette/Challenges)
>
> What would really help for the relations is a much improved interface
> for checking and editing relations (be it in JOSM or as a separate
> thing).

Doesn't seem to be JOSM that's the problem here.  Seems to be more of an ID
and Potlatch issue.  Both seem to have just crap relation editing systems,
and it's not made anywhere near as clear in these editors as it is in JOSM
that you're about to do something fundamentally damaging to the relation
(JOSM will even warn in extreme cases).

> What helps a little but not much are the relation pages:
> http://maproulette.org/relationpages/

It's a start, but doesn't take a lot into account that would be handy.  Any
network lower than state doesn't get picked up (it should, it really really
should), and neither are other important routes, such as bus or bicycle.
 Also misses things like US:OK:Detour, US:OK:Turnpike, US:OK:Business,
etc... It's a start, but it can go farther.