[Talk-us] Locations for State of the Map US 2014

Richard Welty rwelty at averillpark.net
Wed Nov 13 19:09:50 UTC 2013

On 11/13/13 11:10 AM, Jeffrey Johnson wrote:
> I meant the more 'global' SotM, not sure what the plan is for that in
> the fall. Its been very close to FOSS4G for the last several
> iterations, and wondering if that will be the case again in portland?

according to the wiki page, the call for venues will be opening soon,
for some value of soon.

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/State_Of_The_Map_2014

for it to come to the US again, you'd need a local organizing committee
that wanted to prepare a bid. for Denver, there was such a group
and they were supported by OSM US, which chose not to organize
an SOTM US that year since SOTM was coming here.

i note from the wiki page that SOTM is trying to go for a longer
baseline in organizing these events. i think that OSM US should
also think in those terms. it would be really nice if, during the
closing session of SOTM US, the place for next year's SOTM US
could be announced.

there's a ways to go for that tough, which i think is clear from
the fact that no local committees stepped up during the call for
SOTM US proposals this year.

richard