[Talk-us] Separate relations for each direction of US & State highways.

Chris Lawrence lordsutch at gmail.com
Mon Nov 18 19:11:44 UTC 2013

On Mon, Nov 18, 2013 at 10:52 AM, Paul Johnson <baloo at ursamundi.org> wrote:

> Not a fan.  It greatly complicates things for information that can either
> be gleaned obviously or is a "nice to have."  Having 3+ relations for
> something that isn't fully divided just complicates things, with the
> exception edge case of a relation that starts or ends on a divided highway.
>

> On Sun, Nov 17, 2013 at 9:30 AM, James Mast <rickmastfan67 at hotmail.com>wrote:
>
>> I'm just curious, but what's everybody's opinion on this?  I know it's
>> acceptable for the Interstates (some are setup this way, some aren't) since
>> they are all divided, but what about for US Highways and State Highways?  I
>> know that we want to eventually have the cardinal directions in OSM for the
>> routers so they can properly tell people which direction the of the highway
>> they need to turn onto (like turn left onto Westbound US-30).
>> Also, on a side note, do you guys think we should remove the "symbol"
>> tags in the relations from all the Interstates/US highways they show up in
>> at the same time?
>>
>> So, let's get this discussion going!

IMO direction-based relations, with correct forward/backward tagging, are
borderline necessary for directions based on relations to work correctly in
the US and Canada. That's something that's sorely lacking (along with exit
numbers and usage of "destination" tags) in OSRM today.

All we should need is a single super relation for each route, along with
reasonable numbers of directional relations with way members - since each
directional relation will have 1/2ish the number of members, there's no
reason to confine them to one per state unless we're doing that to match up
with Wikipedia articles.

As for symbol tags, I'd vote to transition them to the wiki:symbol
namespace if possible.

Chris
--
Chris Lawrence <lordsutch at gmail.com>