[Talk-us] Currently available good GPS for use with OSM mapping in the USA?

Russ Nelson nelson at crynwr.com
Mon Nov 25 03:37:39 UTC 2013

Joseph R. Justice writes:
 > To that end, I am wondering if anyone here would wish to offer suggestions
 > on GPS devices that are currently available in the US which I should
 > consider.

I highly recommend  the Columbus V-900. It's quite accurate, has a
battery that lasts all day long, and has a button to tag a waypoint,
and another button to record a voice note. I have software which turns
their log file into a GPX file that JOSM will use to play back the
voice notes. It's small enough to keep in your pocket all day long.

It comes with a charging cable that will cause it to turn on and start
logging. If you charge it with a regular USB cable, it just
charges. So if you want, you can leave it in your car, plugged in all
the time, and it will record all your trips.

It has a few flaws, but the voice recorder is so awesome that I hardly
notice them.

$90 from Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Columbus-Bluetooth-Driverless-waypoints-Compatible/dp/B001JJRBU8/ref=pd_cp_e_0

Crynwr supports open source software
521 Pleasant Valley Rd. | +1 315-600-8815
Potsdam, NY 13676-3213  |     Sheepdog