[Talk-us] Currently available good GPS for use with OSM mapping in the USA?

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Mon Nov 25 17:28:25 UTC 2013

I'm using a Garmin GPS Map 60csx for years and do have very good experience
with it, it is now discontinued but the successor is still available (the
differences between the models is mostly the sensors: barometer or not,
electronic compass or not). You should be able to get something like this
for around 200USD:
http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-GPSMAP-Handheld-GPS-Navigator/dp/B003IHV6XW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1385400009&sr=8-2&keywords=garmin+60csx
The advantages are long battery life (around 20 hours), screen readable in
the sunlight, rugged waterresistant device, "compatible" with osm maps
through mkgmap and precompiled maps. They do not have GLONASS compatibility
(AFAIK) and you should look for a model extendable via micro SD cards.

Another alternative I know some people who use it is this logger:
http://www.amazon.com/iBlue-747proS-Recorder-Motion-Sensor/dp/B00GIGMU76/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1385400286&sr=8-3&keywords=logger+iblue+747i
obvioulsy a cheaper solution (maybe you can this for around 50USD), but
isn't rugged, hasn't a screen and IMHO also worse reception (at least the
older model which I once compared to the Garmin handheld).

The osm wiki has a fairly nice (maybe partly outdated) comparison of
different devices with links to subpages:
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/GPS_Reviews

cheers,
Martin