[Talk-us] Currently available good GPS for use with OSM mapping in the USA?

Eric Fischer enf at pobox.com
Mon Nov 25 18:34:21 UTC 2013

I've been using a Garmin eTrex 20 for most of the past year and am pretty
happy with it.

Compared to the earlier eTrex Legend HCx, it supports GLONASS, gets better
battery life (about 40 hours of use on two AA batteries), gets a fix much
faster after powering on, has more attractive (but slower) map rendering,
and can log tracks and use OSM (Lambertus) base maps without having to
install an SD card.

The tracks are definitely higher quality than from phones I've tried
(mostly Samsung Galaxy S and Galaxy Nexus) but newer phones might do better.

Eric