[Talk-us] Currently available good GPS for use with OSM mapping in the USA?

Dion Dock dion_dock at comcast.net
Tue Nov 26 05:03:21 UTC 2013

> On 11/24/13 9:17 PM, Joseph R. Justice wrote:
>> [I am subscribed to Talk-US and will see responses to this message
>> sent to that list.  -- J]
>>
>> So, I've been thinking about getting involved with OSM, particularly
>> in terms of improving the map in the area I live in (Fort Lauderdale,
>> FL, USA).  Looking through the wiki, the Beginner's Guide, and all of
>> that, it seems like one of the most popular and useful ways to do that
>> is to collect and upload GPS traces.  That's something I can do on the
>> ground in my area, and at a pretty detailed level because I'd be doing
>> it on foot.

I've used a Garmin GPSmap 60CSx.  I think it records a point every second--or maybe it's every 5--I can't find the setting in the menus at the  moment.  Saving tracks to the micro SD card will strip off their timestamps and OSM rejects tracks without timestamps.  You could still trace them or import them with JOSM, probably.

The unit itself is disappointing.  The buttons broke--Menu quit working.  I sent it back for a $100 repair.  I feel like it didn't get much use before breaking.

Like others have said, aerial imagery is typically much better than GPS tracks.  GPS is OK for hiking trails, esp. if you have multiple tracks so you can choose start to see how the waypoints average.

have fun,
-Dion