[Talk-us] Currently available good GPS for use with OSM mapping in the USA?

Richard Welty rwelty at averillpark.net
Tue Nov 26 17:07:58 UTC 2013

On 11/26/13 11:13 AM, Martijn van Exel wrote:
> When I'm out of options I will use my phone for track logging. This is
> always a poor choice because the quality of the tracks is noticeably
> poorer, to the point of being unusable sometimes.
i have noticed that the GPS in the retired android HTC (2.5 years old)
is quite a bit inferior to the GPS in the Nexus 7 i bought last winter
(well before the current version Nexus 7 was released.) i guess you're
pretty much at the mercy of the hardware vendor's choices here.
the Nexus 7 is really quite good, it comes up quickly and holds
lock on the satellites well.

>  Logging on your
> phone will also eat your battery.
there are USB battery supplement thingies out there, probably best
to have one or more if you're going to do this away from a car
with a lighter socket or USB power port.

richard