[Talk-us] Currently available good GPS for use with OSM mapping in the USA?

Eric Fischer enf at pobox.com
Tue Nov 26 20:17:36 UTC 2013

On Tue, Nov 26, 2013 at 5:52 AM, Richard Welty <rwelty at averillpark.net>wrote:

>  if the good tracks are on the microSD card then that
> means you can minimize cycles on the mini-USB port, as you can
> remove the microSD and use an external reader. this should lead to
> a longer useful life for the unit (yes, i'm really fed up with having
> two dead Nuvis because of busted mini USB ports).

The caveat I would give about that is that on my eTrex Legend, the SD card
slot started getting flaky long before the USB port had any trouble. I
think that's worse than flaky USB, because there's no visible indication
(until you switch to the map view and discover that the map didn't load)
that the SD card didn't mount at boot and the receiver hasn't been logging
tracks to it.

Eric