[Talk-us] Relation editor support for north/south and east/west similar to forward/backward

Minh Nguyen minh at nguyen.cincinnati.oh.us
Wed Nov 27 10:58:55 UTC 2013

On 23:12 2013-11-26, Florian Lohoff wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 26, 2013 at 03:46:47PM -0700, Martijn van Exel wrote:
>> So the relation between the east--west and north--south member roles
>> is equivalent to the relation between forward--backward.
>>
>> Because the cardinal direction is commonly included on the road signs
>> (see example http://www.aaroads.com/west/new_mexico010/bl-010_eb_at_i-010.jpg)
>> this information is useful in the U.S. (and Canadian) context as a
>> drop in replacement for the traditional forward / backward role
>> members.
>
> I still dont get it - Which relation would need this as a role?
>
> If this is a signposted destination i would expect it in the
> destination or destination:lane tag on the road as west e.g.
>
> destination:lanes=West;Los Angeles|East;Boston
>
> For example Mapfactor Navigator will use this to show destinations.
>
> backward/forward as role are in relation to the ways direction. A tag
> can either have a meaning in forward or backward or both directions
> on a way. There is no way a tag has a meaning in 56° left of the way.

What should destination:lanes be for either exit in this photo?

http://www.interstate-guide.com/images074/i-074_et_09.jpg

The sign for exit 3 could be read "Hopple Street", "eastbound Route 52",
"southbound Route 27", or "southbound Route 127". The cardinal
directions here are not destinations but rather part of the name of the
"side" of the route.

Exit 4 leads to a carriageway that is simultaneously westbound I-74,
westbound US 52, and northbound US 27. Some of us would like to relate
it to an I-74 relation with the role "west" and so on.

minh at nguyen.cincinnati.oh.us