[Talk-us] Baltimore County GIS Data is now public domain

Steven Johnson sejohnson8 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 1 19:51:09 UTC 2013

>>Conclusion:  explicit law may already give us permission to use (our)
data any way we see fit, simply by asking for them.  Read up on >>your
state's laws on Public Records, see if there are any court decisions
affirming, and armed with this knowledge, ask away.  Happy mapping!

Good point. RCFP just published a guide to open government records law for
all 50 states, which you can find here here:
http://tinyurl.com/m6leum5<http://t.co/bBEWW1H2FG>The guide is simply
the text of state legislation, so you won't find
anything in the way of interpretation or application. For that you'd better
look closer to home.

In Virginia we have a public records law that places most public records in
the public domain, but interestingly (or frustratingly) every jurisdiction
in the state asserts copyright over the data. Here is the text of that
copyright:

"*Information shown on these maps is derived from public records that are
constantly undergoing change and do not replace a site survey, and is not
warranted for content or accuracy. * The County does not guarantee the
positional or thematic accuracy of the GIS data. The GIS data or
cartographic digital files are not a legal representation of any of the
features in which it depicts, and disclaims any assumption of the legal
status of which it represents. Data contained on this Web page/site is
Copyright © York County, Virginia. The GIS data are proprietary to the
County, and title to this information remains in the County. All applicable
common law and statutory rights in the GIS data including,but not limited
to, rights in copyright, shall and will remain the property of the County."

My take is that this language was crafted in the early days of paleo-GIS
and was intended as a CYA by local governments who feared getting sued for
inaccurate data. I'm not sure of the implications for importing into
OpenStreetMap. Insights welcome.
 <http://t.co/bBEWW1H2FG>

-- SEJ
-- twitter: @geomantic
-- skype: sejohnson8

There are two types of people in the world. Those that can extrapolate from
incomplete data.