[Talk-us] Baltimore County GIS Data is now public domain

Steven Johnson sejohnson8 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 3 20:36:36 UTC 2013

It does appear that these copyright clauses exist to protect the local
jurisdiction from any liability regarding (mis-)use of the data. Back in my
paleo-GIS days, we were always concerned that someone would mis-construe
the data and hold the County liable and were careful to put a disclaimer on
all maps and digital products. But I think in most jurisdictions a lot of
those concerns have gone by the wayside, just like the expectation of
generating revenue from the data, as Elliott mentions.

Cheers,
SEJ