[Talk-us] Current status with highway shields?

Clifford Snow clifford at snowandsnow.us
Thu Oct 10 03:52:07 UTC 2013

+1

In a conversation with a King County (Washington) employee, we discussed
his project to create tiles from OSM to use as basemaps for King County and
hopefully others. While he doesn't need our tile server, the shields would
really enhance the basemaps.

On Wed, Oct 9, 2013 at 7:54 PM, Evin Fairchild <evindfair at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I was just wondering what's been going on with rendering the highway
> shields. I haven't heard anything about it for a while. The last time
> anything was mentioned about this was in late-July when it was announced
> that the tiles were put up on the OSM-US server--and that was only meant to
> be a preview. I know that the code has to be changed to work with the new
> Carto stylesheet, but I didn't expect that to take so long. Sorry if I
> sound impatient, but I've been waiting patiently for the past two months.
>
> Also, I have noticed that the shields for bannered WA State routes (Spur,
> Alternate) are not rendering. I emailed Phil Gold (creator of the awesome
> shield rendering) about this almost a month ago, but he never responded so
> this hasn't been fixed. Anyway, I'd appreciate it if this can get addressed.
>
> Thanks for coming up with the whole highway shield rendering. I really
> appreciate the effort, because the shields are a 154% improvement over the
> current way of displaying highway numbers. I appreciate your efforts on
> getting this whole project completed. Unfortunately I'm not a programmer,
> but if there's anything I can help with, let me know.
>
> All WA State Hwys. are now ready for shields (that is, they all have
> relations), but are the shields ready for display on the slippy map? I hope
> they will be soon.
>
> Thanks, Compdude

Clifford

OpenStreetMap: Maps with a human touch