[Talk-us] Question about incorrect data for an administrative area

Richard Welty rwelty at averillpark.net
Mon Oct 14 14:07:36 UTC 2013

On 10/14/13 9:57 AM, Phil! Gold wrote:
> * Jay Boyer <boyer at SNHDMAIL.ORG> [2013-10-10 13:34 -0700]:
>> Enterprise is an unincorporated town.  But Enterprise is actually part of Las Vegas and all of the addresses within Enterprise are "Las Vegas" addresses.
>>
>> Enterprise is this area:  http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/relation/170132
> There are a couple of things going on here.
>
> First, if Enterprise does not have its own government, it probably
> shouldn't be boundary=administrative.  I've seen people use things like
> boundary=census for unincorporated towns where the "town" boundary is a
> CDP from the US Census data import.

this seems like a good solution. i've been pondering what to do with
CDP boundaries for a while.

also, i would be remiss if i didn't point out that post office delivery
addressing
is only vaguely related to the actual administrative boundaries; the
addressing
situation for Enterprise is hardly unique, in fact situations like this
are probably
the norm.

and i bet if you checked with the post office you might find out that
they will
deliver to both Las Vegas and to Enterprise. it's not uncommon for the USPS
to recognize place names that have otherwise been consumed in urban sprawl.

richard