[Talk-us] Current status with highway shields?

Minh Nguyen mxn at 1ec5.org
Tue Oct 15 08:26:04 UTC 2013

On 2013-10-09 11:22 PM, Martijn van Exel wrote:
> Country or region specific styles will have a hard time making it to
> the main osm.org layer I have a feeling, just because it makes the
> stylesheet more complex and there's only so many eyes on it. It would
> add a bunch of assets to the site that would only be used for U.S.
> rendering - and then where do you draw the line? Also, the shields
> code would need to go through the much more rigorous code review that
> osm.org pull requests typically are subjected to. That said, if you
> want to help make it happen and start that discussion, please do. I
> would say giving the shields a nice presence on osm.us would be an
> achievable shorter term goal. Having a map on osm.us has been a wish
> of mine and this would be an ideal candidate!
> Martijn

The Wikimedia Foundation is looking into setting up their own
tileservers, primarily to accompany Wikipedia articles with relevant
maps. [1] Given the strong resemblance between the shield images on
Wikimedia Commons and Phil's shields, it'd be worth talking with the WMF
about also hosting the shield style, county routes and all.

[1] http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/maps-l/2013-August/001305.html

--
Minh Nguyen <mxn at 1ec5.org>
Jabber: mxn at 1ec5.org; Blog: http://notes.1ec5.org/