[Talk-us] Highway classification questions

Tod Fitch tod at fitchdesign.com
Tue Oct 15 23:29:02 UTC 2013

ref: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/California#Highway_types and
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/United_States_roads_tagging

Specific questions:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=18/37.38554/-122.05217

Should Central Expressway be marked as primary rather than trunk at this point? The existence of a traffic signal indicates that it does not always have right of way. Other sections of Central Expressway are grade separated with limited access and highway=trunk makes sense to me but not here.

http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=16/37.7751/-120.7939

Highway 120/108 at this point is a two lane road. Side roads have stop signs. Other areas similar to this have the highway tagged as primary or secondary, not trunk. Even highway 120 and highway 108 further west of this are tagged primary rather than trunk.

http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=16/37.9772/-120.3549

In this area highway 108 is a "super two", one lane each way, undivided, but with grade separation and limited access. How do people typically classify a super two?

--
Sent from my mobile device. Please excuse my brevity.