[Talk-us] Highway classification questions

L. David Baron dbaron at dbaron.org
Wed Oct 16 00:11:26 UTC 2013

On Tuesday 2013-10-15 16:29 -0700, Tod Fitch wrote:
> ref: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/California#Highway_types and
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/United_States_roads_tagging
>
> Specific questions:
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=18/37.38554/-122.05217
>
> Should Central Expressway be marked as primary rather than trunk at this point? The existence of a traffic signal indicates that it does not always have right of way. Other sections of Central Expressway are grade separated with limited access and highway=trunk makes sense to me but not here.

I'd note that the entire Santa Clara county expressway system all
seems to be tagged as highway=trunk, and if memory serves, most of
those roads (e.g., Foothill Expressway, Oregon Expressway, Lawrence
Expressway) have significant numbers of intersecting traffic lights.
I think that section of Central Expressway that's grade-separated
(is it all but the northwestern end?) is actually unusual for the
system.  But it looks like the entire system is tagged as
highway=trunk.

Such a change would also disguise that there's a massive change in
the character of the road (loss of divider, change in speed limit,
and drastic change in lane widths) where it crosses San Antonio and
turns into Alma Street.

(If anything, the spot in the area where I'd question a
highway=trunk tagging is Page Mill Road from El Camino to 280.)

-David

             Before I built a wall I'd ask to know
             What I was walling in or walling out,
             And to whom I was like to give offense.