[Talk-us] Freeway directions

Martijn van Exel m at rtijn.org
Wed Oct 16 22:28:33 UTC 2013

Hi all,

What is the preferred way to indicate the direction of a motorway, for
example I-215 Eastbound?

I know of at least two possible tags that can be used, there may be
more: the direction tag on the relation and the role tag on the
relation members. The former to me seems easier to maintain (only one
tag per relation instead of a tag on all members), but the latter
looks to be (much) more prevalent. My guess this is because of the
practice to combine both directions of one freeway in one relation
rather than having two relations for the separate directions.
--
Martijn van Exel
http://oegeo.wordpress.com/