[Talk-us] Freeway directions

Martijn van Exel m at rtijn.org
Thu Oct 17 19:31:43 UTC 2013

Yea, I realized that as well. There's even a section of I-80 / I-580
in Berkeley, CA where the directionality of I-80 and I-580 is
opposite... http://goo.gl/maps/XROab (The actual compass direction is
more like N/S on that stretch.)

I don't know if there's a definitive reference for the 'official'
directionality of the freeways?

On Thu, Oct 17, 2013 at 12:21 PM, Richard Welty <rwelty at averillpark.net> wrote:
> On 10/17/13 3:14 PM, Ian Dees wrote:
>
> The direction of a US Interstate isn't necessarily the compass direction of
> the road.
>
> For example, this chunk of I-94 is "facing" south, but it's still eastbound
> I-94.

> this is true of many roads, not just interstates. there's one NY state route
> in the Adirondacks that is C shaped, so it's official "direction" is only
> true for one of the three legs.
>
> richard

Martijn van Exel
http://oegeo.wordpress.com/