[Talk-us] Public Labs/balloon mapping?

Serge Wroclawski emacsen at gmail.com
Mon Oct 28 16:11:41 UTC 2013

As others have said, balloon mapping is wonderful, it's great, it's
awesome, it's everything cool, but the field of vision one gets from a
kite or balloon is quite narrow.

Planes or satellites are much higher up and so can capture much larger
areas, while drones can (baring any legal restrictions) move, so that
their field of vision can be as narrow as a balloon (or even less),
but it can move, which makes it less of a problem.

When capturing a small (or even medium sized area), such as a school,
a small park, or a canal or oil spill, balloons are perfect. For a
town-sized area, they won't work unless you can get many areas.

- Serge