[Talk-us] [Imports] GNIS tag removal proposal

Bryce Nesbitt bryce2 at obviously.com
Wed Sep 11 07:22:45 UTC 2013

On Sat, Sep 7, 2013 at 8:54 PM, Paul Norman <penorman at mac.com> wrote:

>  > I would like to suggest that the editors remove the following tags
> > entirely:
> >
> > gnis:ST_num
> > gnis:ST_alpha
> > gnis:feature_type...
> Unless there are serious objections I plan to open a pull request adding
> listed tags to the discard list.

As the discard list gets bigger, I think there are some ways the list could
be better. My main discomfort is the notion that we want humans to review
the tag list, yet the editors don't quite do that.

I'll look into creating a patch for JOSM that would at least warn an editor
working on a node that
some of the tags are about to disappear:  Before I learned about the
discard list I spent a lot of time deleting "tiger:upload_uuid", not
knowing that it would disappear anyway.  And I carefully preserved
"tiger:tlid", thinking it was useful.

My Java's rusty but I'll try...

----

After that is there a way to put the discard list into a central format
used by all editors?  Where is the discard list kept?