[Talk-us] incorrect tagging on lakes in Massachusetts?

Jason Remillard remillard.jason at gmail.com
Sat Sep 28 01:01:29 UTC 2013

Hi,

We have been working on improving the lakes and ponds in MA. I have
come across what I think is incorrect tagging on an import done in
2010.

Please consider this way

Besides the gratuitous massgis: tags. It has a owner, ownership, and
protected tags. These ways came into OSM through an open space land
use type import in 2010. For 99.9% of the import, having an owner,
ownership, and protected tag on every way make sense. However, my
investigation into the law in Massachusetts suggests that no lake that
is over 10 acres (a so called great pond
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_pond_(law) ), can be owned by
anybody. Therefor, the example way is not "owned" by the DCR, it is
managed by the DCR, the tagging seems incorrect.

I would like to re-tag these ways to use the operator tag, removing
owner, ownership, and protected, since those tags don't make sense for
a lake or pond. We have 44 lakes tagged like this.

Thanks
Jason.