[Talk-us] OSM Inspector and streets with E/N/S/W in their name

Richard Welty rwelty at averillpark.net
Tue Apr 29 20:02:18 UTC 2014

On 4/29/14 3:31 PM, Richard Weait wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 29, 2014 at 3:05 PM, Frederik Ramm <frederik at remote.org> wrote:
>
>> I wonder: Is OSMI correct in flagging this for correction, or is this
>> something that nobody really cares about and that should not be
>> highlighted? I.e. should we, in OSMI, drop the E/N/S/W prefix of street
>> names before trying to find a match?
> Oh, nice!  And, if you have thoughts on this, please indicate the area
> for which your feedback applies.  There may be regional differences.
one example - in St. Petersburg Florida, the direction is important;
26th Avenue North is a completely different street from 26th Avenue
South (they are 51 blocks apart) and the addr:street tag would be in
error if it omitted the North/South.

26th Avenue North and 26th Avenue Northeast in St. Pete is also
a meaningful difference, they are connected but the directional
changes from one to the other at 1st Street North.

richard

rwelty at averillpark.net
 OpenStreetMap - PostgreSQL - Linux
 Java - Web Applications - Search