[Talk-us] Road abbreviations

stevea steveaOSM at softworkers.com
Fri Aug 1 18:32:21 UTC 2014

Once again, Paul:  nice overlay!  It is very impressive what can be
whipped up (and rather quickly!) with OSM data and clever use of
tools.  Such visualizations give the OSM community an excellent
method to identify, prioritize and potentially assign/do fixups in
our data.  I encourage others to look at Paul's overlay and make
suggestions, especially if you are local to or map in one of the
areas with red lines representing road name abbreviations.

Looking at San Diego, I see fewer than a dozen red roads, most around
the Marine Corps base, but not bad at all.  Yes, it seems worst in
"the east" (ern USA) in clusters, though there are problems in the
west, like Las Vegas, SW of Eugene, Oregon, around Denver and other
parts of Colorado, and NE Wyoming (?!).

I realize that this is a quick(er) solution and that more thought
might need to go into any bot's logic that identifies problematic
street names, but this overlay/visualization is a great initial
result and should be pursued further.  Thanks for everybody's efforts!

SteveA
California