[Talk-us] More road name expansion thoughts

Jake Wasserman jwasserman at gmail.com
Thu Aug 7 18:16:52 UTC 2014

> 2. I haven't seen anyone on this list disagree with the OSM general
>    method of expanding road identifiers (Street, Lane, Boulevard,
>    etc.). So we can agree on that and I think move forward with the
>    general proposal around name expansion.

Could we also apply this to exit_to=* or destination=* for exit signs?

We want to make sure text-to-speech engines don't have to do the expansion
manually, and it's equally important to speak the road names correctly when
exiting highways too. If the names on the ways are expanded but the exits
remain abbreviated, we'd have to implement all the expansion code anyway -
subject to all the errors this is trying to avoid.

Thanks,
Jake