[Talk-us] Abandoned railway

Richard Fairhurst richard at systemed.net
Sat Aug 30 08:33:53 UTC 2014

Russ Nelson wrote:
> I fear that the deletionism infection has jumped from Wikipedia
> to OpenStreetMap.

...is exactly what I was going to say.

Seriously, OSM in the US, outside a few cities, is still way beyond broken.
You can open it at any random location and the map is just fictional. (I
did, just now: http://www.osm.org/edit#map=13/36.1938/-103.6446 . Half of
those roads don't exist at all, and the other half are barely roads,
certainly not residential ones as tagged.) Why would you (contentiously)
delete railway=abandoned for an actual abandoned railway trackbed when the
map has thousands, millions, of fictional or entirely mistagged roads and
tracks?

I know it's a long-standing OSM joke, but at this rate we _are_ going to
have to import some Germans to the US, because it looks like the only way
the map will ever get fixed.

cheers
Richard