[Talk-us] Abandoned railway

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Sat Aug 30 11:29:52 UTC 2014

> Il giorno 30/ago/2014, alle ore 10:33, Richard Fairhurst <richard at systemed.net> ha scritto:
>
> Russ Nelson wrote:
>> I fear that the deletionism infection has jumped from Wikipedia
>> to OpenStreetMap.
>
> ...is exactly what I was going to say.
>
> Seriously, OSM in the US, outside a few cities, is still way beyond broken.
> You can open it at any random location and the map is just fictional. (I
> did, just now: http://www.osm.org/edit#map=13/36.1938/-103.6446 . Half of
> those roads don't exist at all, and the other half are barely roads,
> certainly not residential ones as tagged.) Why would you (contentiously)
> delete railway=abandoned for an actual abandoned railway trackbed when the
> map has thousands, millions, of fictional or entirely mistagged roads and
> tracks?

+1, completely agree. Even if you don't care for abandoned railways and question their belonging in OSM, please respect others who actually do care. Deleting what someone has entered with great effort (and what is correctly tagged) will surely cause more harm than good to OSM as a whole (eg will frustrate and ultimately draw engaged mappers away from OSM).

cheers,
Martin