[Talk-us] Dirt Roads (formerly: Abandoned railway)

Russell Deffner russell.deffner at hotosm.org
Sat Aug 30 19:46:12 UTC 2014

Well, the road your referring to sounds like a track, if it has no other significant use than a beautiful and adventurous way to travel between the two towns.  However, the road I live on is well maintained (graded, plowed in winter, etc. – FYI I drive a Nissan Maxima/low clearance 2WD) but basically has only one function – to get to the residences along it – which fits residential much more than track.  I think this is a case where there is not a one size fits all for road classification, in my opinion my local knowledge suggests there is a big difference between the residential dirt road I live on and the (typically 4X4) tracks that are in the area.