[Talk-us] Dirt Roads (formerly: Abandoned railway)

Tod Fitch tod at fitchdesign.com
Sun Aug 31 17:03:42 UTC 2014

+1 to this. While mapping areas near my folks where I grew up there are lots of dirt roads and there are lots of tracks and they are different.

In that area, in my opinion, a dirt road will have regular maintenance sufficient for passage by a family car and, generally but not always, be wide enough for two vehicles to pass each other in all places. A track will typically be unmaintained and only be wide enough for one vehicle (though on a satellite view it could be tough to tell width as often they appear wider when people extend the width to get around wash outs or rough spots).

Another item that helps tell is if there is an official name assigned to the way but, since sign posting is often rare in those locations it could be difficult to tell that in the field.

If I am trying to clean up the Tiger desert in those area by arm chair mapping, I go by width. Sometimes the transition from unclassified, unpaved to track, unpaved is difficult to tell from Bing though.