[Talk-us] State highway refs (was Re: New I.D Feature)

Minh Nguyen minh at nguyen.cincinnati.oh.us
Wed Dec 3 12:33:55 UTC 2014

On 2014-12-01 13:58, James Mast wrote:
> Same thing goes with Florida.  Just the state outline.
>
> Heck, in Pennsylvania, originally on BGS's before we started to use the
> Keystone shield, we used the 'PA' abbreviation (one such sign that still
> stands [1]).  However, now on the little white reference mileage signs
> [2] that PennDOT posts on roads they maintain, it says 'SR' (even on
> Interstates).  However, PennDOT recently posted a nice little gem on
> PA-28 @ Exit #6 going both directions that goes back in time and
> mentions the 'PA' on the sign. [3]  There are at least 3 of these signs
> (2 going SB, at least 1 going NB).

Just to be clear, the argument I've been putting forward has little to
do with route shields (or places where you'd expect a route shield). I'm
thinking about places where plain text is expected and intended for a
general audience.

(If you're sick of hearing me ramble on about ref formats, feel free to
tune out now.)

Variable message signs are generally programmed to display alphanumeric
messages only. [1] The messages usually say "SR" for state routes in
Ohio [2], Florida [3], and Utah [4]; "KY" in Kentucky; "K-" in Kansas;
and "SH" in Texas [5]. (California doesn't usually bother qualifying the
state route number.)

But it isn't all about the highway department. The same style tends to
be used also by the media and by businesses and homeowners giving their
addresses. Any other style sounds foreign.

If we standardize all states on the state abbreviations, software like
Nominatim would need special cases to translate from e.g. "100 SR 123,
Red Lion" (what a typical user would input based on a business listing)
to "100, OH 123, Red Lion, Warren County, Ohio". Routers would need to
translate in the other direction, because street signs are often limited
to plain text. If someone's in unfamiliar territory and their GPS says
"turn left on Texas 99" but they see "SH-99" on a blade sign [6], maybe
that could make them hesitate and miss a turn?

In any case, I'm only concerned with allowing Ohio to keep the "SR" refs
intact, since folks have occasionally suggested that they be eliminated.
I bring up other states just to point out that Ohio isn't much of a
special case in reality.

[1] OTOH some do have shields:
<http://www.asphaltplanet.ca/ON/hwy_401_images/401_dv_191_west_lg.jpg>
[2]