[Talk-us] Misspelled names

Paul Johnson baloo at ursamundi.org
Thu Dec 18 00:58:23 UTC 2014

On Wed, Dec 17, 2014 at 4:13 PM, Mike Henson <mikehenson at hotmail.com> wrote:

> I have been trying to catch misspelled names of restaurants and fast food
> places.
> I then came across this wiki page
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Chain_Store_Cleanup#Misspelled_names
>
> What a life saver, after reviewing this wiki page, I found many more
> misspellings I was making 7-11, Wal-Mart, Starbucks and so on.

Nice.  jcpenny is another name that commonly gets misspelled.

> I plan to update this wiki with
> Chick-fil-a should be Chick-fil-A fast_food (like their website)
> Subways should be Subway fast food

That sounds about right, though due to moral opposition to the company's
politics, I generally don't bother to map CfA locations unless it's a
particularly notable location (like one on a

> I am still having issues with Sonic (http://www.sonicdrivein.com/)
> people use SONIC, Sonic or Sonic Drive-in on OSM. The website is no help
> because they also use all 3 names... Is there a consensus on Sonic?

I tend to go with Sonic since that's the most frequent iteration of what
appears on the sign (particularly in towns where there's restrictions on
the size of signage in play, or other factors that cause a particular
location to have smaller signs; Sonic is somewhat notorious for trying to
make sure their locations "fit" with the neighborhood they're in compared
to other major chains).  The next most common signs I've seen for this
chain are "Sonic America's Drive In" (especially larger locations with 20+
stalls) and "Sonic Service With the Speed of Sound" (for truly ancient
locations)

> I am also having an issue with Walmart, should it be a Marketplace,
> Supermarket, Department store??? All 3 are used in OSM in Oklahoma.

Walmart Neighborhood Marketplace, and Walmart, depending on if it's a
"classic" or "supermarket" type location.  I tend to tag these as a
variety_store or supermarket depending on the kind, and if I'm familiar
with the layout, will tag the departments with POI.  Annoyingly, Walmart
Neighborhood Markets often end up across from or sharing a parking lot with
another supermarket (usually a Reasor's, Thriftway or Aldi Sud) rather than
actually locating themselves in a food desert where there's plenty of
former supermarket locations currently being used as other kinds of retail
and could _really_ use one.  But I might be biased, I live a mile from the
busiest Walmart in Tulsa and it's usually faster to go to Reasor's or Aldi
Sud up in the next town over (Owasso) than go up the street, largely
because it's the closest supermarket for almost half the metro...