[Talk-us] Rail westerly

Alexander Jones happy5214 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 20 09:30:00 UTC 2014

stevea wrote:

> I'm beginning to channel California rail, especially mainline,
> branch, naming operators and owners and having routes be well
> established as relations.
>
> I use openrailwaymap.org to do this.  The USA could use some, ahem,
> tuning up.  Much work ahead.

So, that's you? I've spent the past year-plus remapping rail lines in the
Central Valley. Right now, I'm finishing up the BNSF Mojave Subdivision
towards Barstow. A few tips:

* Please use the subdivision name where available. Using the railroad as the
name is redundant when the operator tag is set. I use the CPUC rail crossing
data [1] to find subdivision names.
* I'm in the process of retracing most of the current and abandoned lines in
the San Joaquin Valley south of Stockton. Especially on the BNSF line, don't
waste your time.
* The way I see it, passenger lines are not automatically usage=main. But I
don't know of any passenger lines in California, except the Sprinter in
North SD County, that couldn't be seen as main lines.

I generally use 7 tags: railway=rail, operator=, old_railway_operator=,
name=, usage=, electrified=, and gauge=.

I still use old-fashioned (according to OpenRailwayMap) route=railway
relations for the tracks. I don't think the relations are rendered, but I'm
not completely sure. But I keep the IDs in the org-mode files I use to
manage my work, so I could always switch the tag out if needed.

Overall, this is much needed work. Thanks for helping the rail quality in
California!

Alexander

[1] http://www.cpuc.ca.gov/PUC/safety/Rail/Crossings/crossinginventory.htm