[Talk-us] Beaver dam? Wrecked bridge? Hallucinatory roads in TIGER?

Kevin Kenny kkenny2 at nycap.rr.com
Sat Dec 20 16:09:55 UTC 2014

I have what may be a seriously weird question.

I've been trying to clean up my GPS tracks and enter data for the
Northville-Placid Trail in the Adirondacks. In the rare places that the
trail does appear in TIGER, the data are wildly wrong, so I'm rerouting
and retagging as I go. I'm also trying to create a route relation for
the trail, since it has roadwalk sections.

The trail, being a wilderness trail (there are spots on it that are a
good twenty miles from the nearest drivable road), has some
"interesting" features.

In at least one place (44.07447,-74.28335, says GPS) the trail crosses
an unnamed tributary of Pine Brook on a beaver dam that is visible in
aerial images. https://flic.kr/p/pFf3TV Hikers who don't quite believe
that the trail would do such a thing have created a use path extending
up- and downstream that peters out in both directions. So - What's
appropriate tagging for a way that uses a beaver dam?

In several other places, destroyed bridges either serve as landmarks
https://flic.kr/p/oJrAXF  or even have had the stone of their footings
repurposed to create a ford https://flic.kr/p/poN2vf  .  Is there
tagging that makes sense for this situation?

Is it considered acceptable to delete ways that came in from TIGER and
appear never to have existed? In this case, I speak of roads shown in
TIGER where I've hiked across the routes and seen no sign of even an
abandoned road - and I use century-old abandoned grades for off-trail
hiking fairly often. I know what to look for even when the roadbed is
grown to trees. For instance, to my eye, it's obvious that
https://flic.kr/p/nouCUC was once a road. In some cases, I can't imagine
what the TIGER people were smoking (and wish they'd share!).

--
73 de ke9tv/2, Kevin