[Talk-us] Rail westerly

Tod Fitch tod at fitchdesign.com
Sat Dec 20 20:45:35 UTC 2014

On Dec 20, 2014, at 12:35 PM, stevea wrote:

> Yes, I'll use owner= if known, and it is name= which displays in ORM as the name of the line.  Many lines had name= as the service run upon them (like Caltrain instead of Union Pacific), and I have corrected this where I know it was wrong in OSM.  But I haven't corrected all of these, just the ones I know.  And now I think I'll have to go back and correct name=Union Pacific as the name of Union Pacific's subdivision for the line that Caltrain is run upon: Caltrain itself should be a relation.  And so on.

I was under the very strong impression that the main line from San Jose to San Francisco is owned by the Joint Powers Board (CalTrain) and not by Union Pacific. I believe that there are branches off that owned by Union Pacific and maybe even BNSF but that the main right of way was actually Caltrain's. Any place one could confirm or deny that?