[Talk-us] Tagging outdoor US shopping centers

Mike N niceman at att.net
Wed Dec 24 22:55:36 UTC 2014

On 12/23/2014 9:40 PM, Doug Hembry wrote:
> I'm a relative newbie, and here's a question I've been puzzling over for
> a while: What's the best practice for tagging a north American outdoor
> shopping center?

  I agree with all the previous advice, and have also run into some
minor quirks when addressing.  As far as I can see, the addr:* fields
refer to the postal address.  I'm not sure whether there is an easy way
to indicate the city of government, particularly if the boundary has
changed (I don't have an updated boundary - just information that these
stores have one postal city but they're a member of a separate city
government).

I'm using addr:unit freely now, even though it's not on the JOSM
presets.  In some cases, a merchant will put
  "307G Cycletree Ct" on their web site, but a different merchant in the
same center will put "307 Cycletree Ct / Suite G".

Proportionally, there aren't many occurrences of addr:unit in the entire
OSM database.