[Talk-us] NAD 27 data to OSM's native WGS 84 data

stevea steveaOSM at softworkers.com
Wed Dec 31 22:27:13 UTC 2014

>>Any "magic incantation" that will just "do this" (for shapefile
>>data) is appreciated.  I don't know if copy-pasting the above
>>string into a .prj in the shapefile folder will direct JOSM (via
>>Shapefile plug-in) to "adjust" the data to WGS 84, or if something
>>different is required.  It is even possible that clicking on JOSM's
>>alert button of "Yes" is all that is required, but I'm not sure.
>> Thank you in advance.
>
>Well, just clicking "Yes" will definitely not work, since JOSM won't
>know what to convert from.
>
>I don't know if JOSM doesn't reprojection. But if you want to just
>do it before loading the data into JOSM and you have OGR/GDAL
>installed:
>
>ogr2ogr -s_srs EPSG:4267 -t_srs EPSG:4326  output.shp input.shp

I do have OGR/GDAL installed (for this and other reasons!) and have
done exactly this before (for example, during my US Forest Service
data harmonization in Region 5/California a couple years ago).  Thank
you, Darrell, for confirming this.

To be clear to anybody else who wishes to use the "Oak Ridge Rail
data," a re-projection from NAD 27to WGS 84 absolutely IS required,
and one way to do that is to use the ogr2ogr command above.  For
those new to this, the quickest way is to install GDAL appropriate to
your operating system.

Thanks for the quick response!

SteveA
California