[Talk-us] Whole-US Garmin Map update - 2014-02-10

Dave Hansen dave at sr71.net
Wed Feb 12 20:17:46 UTC 2014

These are based off of Lambertus's work here:

	http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl

If you have questions or comments about these maps, please feel
free to ask.  However, please do not send me private mail.  The
odds are, someone else will have the same questions, and by
asking on the talk-us@ list, others can benefit.

Downloads:

	http://daveh.dev.openstreetmap.org/garmin/Lambertus/2014-02-10

Map to visualize what each file contains:

	http://daveh.dev.openstreetmap.org/garmin/Lambertus/2014-02-10/kml/kml.html
----

----

Why did you do this?

	I wrote scripts to joined them myself to lessen the impact
	of doing a large join on Lambertus's server.  I've also
	cut them in large longitude swaths that should fit conveniently
	on removable media.

	http://daveh.dev.openstreetmap.org/garmin/Lambertus/2014-02-10

Can or should I seed the torrents?

	Yes!!  If you use the .torrent files, please seed.  That web
	server is in the UK, and it helps to have some peers on this
	side of the Atlantic.

Why is my map missing small rectangular areas?

	There have been some missing tiles from Lambertus's map (the
	red rectangles),  I don't see any at the moment, so you may
	want to update if you had issues with the last set.

Why can I not copy the large files to my new SD card?

	If you buy a new card (especially SDHC), some are FAT16 from
	the factory.  I had to reformat it to let me create a >2GB
	file.

Does your map cover Mexico/Canada?

	Yes!!  I have, for the purposes of this map, annexed Ontario
	in to the USA.  Some areas of North America that are close
	to the US also just happen to get pulled in to these maps.
	This might not happen forever, and if you would like your
	non-US area to get included, let me know.

-- Dave