[Talk-us] Telenav giving away iPad Mini or Galaxy Note to Editor with the Most Edits Made By March 10

Greg Morgan dr.kludge.gm at gmail.com
Sat Feb 15 04:04:32 UTC 2014

On Wed, Feb 12, 2014 at 5:28 PM, James Mast <rickmastfan67 at hotmail.com>wrote:

> Thanks for doing this Steve.
>
> However, is there a way to report script kiddies who are running a script
> to just rack up points that aren't doing anything to help out OSM and just
> want to win the prize?  Should I just report them to the DWG, especially
> since he hasn't talked to talk-us about running the script?  The reason I'm
> asking is because I've already spotted one of these type of users who is
> just running a script that is just changing tags from one to another type
> to rack up the edits.  Heck, he's also somehow editing some nodes just to
> make them his without doing anything to them (no idea how he's doing that!).

It looks like he's looking at recent change sets of other mappers.  Then he
looks for a tiger or gnis tag to change into incomplete an addr:* like so
http://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/3506764/history.

Perhaps Telenav needs to refine the contest rules?  I am thinking that
adding modification of existing data to contest rules has the unintended
consequences of abuse like these edits. Otherwise, Telenav's good idea
could become a black eye on everything that the company is trying to do to
enhance their support of the community.