[Talk-us] Ramsey County Minnesota opened its GIS data to the public today

stevea steveaOSM at softworkers.com
Mon Feb 17 07:45:59 UTC 2014

>SteveA,
>Sorry for inconveniencing you and the cause.

Justin, I wish to be encouraging to you and others who post valuable
information here, and STRENGTHEN your voice here by weaving it into
the many strands of crowdsourced powerful truth.

>I am sure people like you and the rest of the OSM community have
>100% knowledge of when data is opened.

We don't.  We have patchy, imperfect knowledge.  We share here, and
in other places like wiki pages, at Mapping Parties, and through
other connections and outreach to fellow OSM contributors.

>So when counties, states and governments around the globe open their
>data, we should keep in mind the people like you (from California
>where the grass is so green),

I admit the grass is green here.  I also encourage others to find
that their grass is pretty green with some simple questions and
relatively easy-to-perform research into state laws.  At least that
seems to work for the fifty states, which is the venue to which we
both speak here.

>that thought out everything and know when data is opened, when to share.

I do not wish to come off as a know it all.  I apologize if that is
how my previous post came across, as that was not my intention.

>We the people will leave it to the experts (wonder why Steve left
>OSM...). Cheers ;)

We, the People ARE the experts!  And I have no intention of leaving
OSM.  To a large degree, OSM is about learning.  That is a vast, wide
dynamic, and I know that it happens at thousands of different degrees
along a vast spectrum, from beginner, to intermediate, to advanced.
Good for us for doing so and sharing so well as we do so!

>Here's the deal; no question is dumb, when making people feel like
>their first attempt to help the community isn't okay, they shut down
>and think the community can take off... I recently watched a webinar
>with Steve and James Fee who chatted about such a thing.

Justin, again, I did not wish to imply that your question was dumb.
Quite the contrary, I said it isn't a bad idea to post this, AND,
hey, I think it's a good idea to "amplify" that effort in an
organized way.  Like, perhaps, keeping track via a wiki table of
fifty states, as a starting point.  We can meet in some vague middle
there (along with others, besides you and me), and push it ahead.  In
fact, we should!  (By your efforts, my efforts and the efforts of
others).

>just me .02

I'm glad we both shared!

SteveA